Sunday, April 15, 2007

"Moving Pictures" - Rush

"Moving Pictures" is the classic album from the Canadian progressive rock trio of Geddy Lee, Neil Peart and Alex Lifeson. It was released in 1981 and it remains the group's most popular collaboration so far.

I've read about this group for a long time. They first came to my consciousness when I read something about The Dawn around 1987-ish, when Teddy Diaz and the gang were still establishing their hold of the Pinoy rock scene. Rush was mentioned as one of Teddy's influences. I was like "Rush? uh ok". At that time, the internet was still in its developmental stages. So, the only source of music info one can get is through magazines. Most of the popular music magazines at the time feature mostly glam metal band like Poison, Motley Crue and the other popular hair metal groups.

A Rush article wouldn't get coverage in those publications even in a million years.

Back to the present: Over the years, I've gotten enough info about those guys and only recently did I muster enough courage to give it a try. So I ordered a CD of Moving Pictures online through Amazon.

The first thing that came to my mind after hearing it was, "Why did I wait THIS long to get their CD!"

I became part of the millions hooked to the magic weaved by these musical geniuses. The Morse-coded "YYZ" is the clearly the most energetic track in the bunch. But my most favorite would be "Red Barchetta". You could almost feel like you're riding the roadster along a highway feeling the air in your face! "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" are likewise masterfully crafted musical gems. You can't miss the references the guys make to literary influences they have and it make you admire them even more.

The musical expertise of the group are very much evident in this album. The only thing that bothered me initially is Geddy Lee's somewhat whiney-sounding voice. But after a while, I got used to it and felt that it is actually a factor to the band's unique sound.


Released: 1981

Track listing:
1. Tom Sawyer
2. Red Barchetta
3. YYZ
4. Limelight
5. The Camera Eye
6. Witch Hunt
7. Vital Signs

Band members:
Geddy Lee - bass guitar, vocals
Alex Lifeson - electric and acoustic guitars
Neil Peart - drums and percussion

No comments: